Hey all –
Here are a few quick tips to ensure that your companion animals remain as safe and stress-free as possible for Halloween.
1. If you expect trick-or-treaters, consider keeping your companion animals in a different room during the busy hours. All of the commotion (to say nothing of the bizarre costumes) can be stressful for many dogs and cats.
2. If they seem okay with the parade of visitors, keep a special eye out for the “darters.” Some animals can get extra amped up with all the activity and might try to do some trick-or-treating of their own as they make a break for the open door!
3. I would not leave a dog or cat outdoors (even in the backyard) on Halloween night. All kind of stupid, even tragic, shit has happened to companion animals through the years, as certain emotionally and socially retarded individuals have elected to involve animals in their various “tricks.”
4. Keep an eye out for all forms of candy and wrappers, especially chocolate. All is off-limits for cats and dogs.
5. Watch out for lit pumpkins and other decorative candles. Make sure your dog or cat can’t knock any of these things over or burn themselves on them.
6. Finally, I would resist the urge to dress your companion animal in one of these ridiculous fucking costumes. If you insist on doing this – and you are 100% positive that they don’t mind – make sure that the ridiculous fucking costume is in no way inhibitive to their movement, irritating to their skin or fur, or restrictive to their vision in any way. If a doggie (especially) can’t see what’s going on, they might be more inclined to bite or nip.
That’s about it. Have a safe one, everybody….